I love to have sandwiches for lunch. They fill me up and are extremely versatile. I often use things that are about to go bad in my fridge or pantry to reduce food waste.
I always have mozzarella cheese and tomatoes in the fridge. I also have a basil plant growing in my kitchen so this sandwich has become a go to lunch. It is quick and easy, but still feels more luxurious than a typical grilled cheese sandwich.
I decided to pair my sandwich with my Quick Caprese Salad since I really wanted to use up my grape tomatoes. It was delicious!
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 8 grape tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 6 basil leaves,
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat
- Butter both slices of bread
- Place one slice on the pan with the buttered side down
- Add one slice of mozzarella to the bread
- Place the tomatoes and basil on top of the mozzarella
- Place the other piece of mozzarella over top and put the other slice of bread on top with the butter facing up
- Allow to cook until golden
- Flip and allow the other side to toast
- I also make this sandwich using thinly sliced Roma tomatoes, but I did not have any on hand.